12 October 2009

Poster Presentation at SLA 2009: Information Accessibility and the Disability Community

By Jacy Bell

This past spring I completed an internship at the Sonoran University Center of Excellence in Developmental Disabilities (UCEDD) as an Interdisciplinary Trainee. I worked on various projects exploring information accessibility and library services for individuals with disabilities. Summarizing my efforts, I created a poster entitled, Information Accessibility & the Disability Community, which highlights the barriers to accessing information in both virtual and physical environments for the purpose of informing librarians of their role and responsibility in alleviating such barriers.

On June 14th, 2009, I presented my poster at the Special Libraries Association 2009 Annual Conference in Washington, DC during the Social Science; Museum, Arts, & Humanities; and Education Divisions’ poster session and open house: Inspiration and Diversity – SLA Around the Globe. Attendees voted on their choice for the best poster with the winning poster’s author receiving a one-year SLA membership. Unfortunately, I didn’t win but was first runner up — exciting considering this was my first poster! I had a great time at the conference and would like to thank the Sonoran UCEDD for supporting my participation.

To view my poster, please visit http://sucedd.fcm.arizona.edu/sites/sucedd.fcm.arizona.edu/files/Information

For more information on the Sonoran UCEDD and their Interdisciplinary Training Program, please visit their website: http://sonoranucedd.fcm.arizona.edu/.

No comments:

Post a Comment